MGS NGGDPP Grants
CURRENT NGGDPP GRANT
MGS submitted its tenth National Geological and Geophysical Data Preservation Program (NGGDPP) grant application in January 2017, and was notified in May 2017 that the proposal was fully funded. The NGGDPP is administered by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). The current FY2017 NGGDPP grant cycle runs from September 1, 2017 – August 31, 2018 and funds preservation activities for both the Aerial Photograph Collection and the Rock Cuttings Collection. These tasks specifically include:
- Finish comprehensive quality assurance/quality control (QA/AC) check and finalize the remaining ~5,000 internal database records for county-based aerial photographs from the 1970s – 1990s;
- Update the National Digital Catalog (NDC) with these newly updated metadata records;
- Box up ~5,000 county-based photographs from the 1970s – 1990s and transfer them to Maryland State Archives (MSA) for permanent storage; and
- Purchase archival folders and boxes for the remaining ~8,200 photographs comprising the other components of the MGS Aerial Photograph Collection.
- Purchase boxes and envelopes to re-house a portion of this collection;
- Create a rock cuttings database;
- Perform a detailed inventory of ~450 boxes of rock cuttings and populate the internal database with metadata records;
- Submit metadata records to the National Digital Catalog; and
- Create a draft re-oganization, labeling, and long-term storage plan for the collection.
UPCOMING NGGDPP GRANT
According to the USGS, the FY18 NGGDPP grant announcement should be posted in late fall/early winter 2017.
SUMMARY OF NGGDPP GRANT ACTIVITIES
Please click on the links below to view Final Technical Reports (FTRs) which document the tasks completed during each NGGDPP grant cycle.
- FY2008 FTR (2008-2009)
- FY2009 FTR (2009-2010)
- FY2010 FTR (2010-2011)
- FY2011 FTR (2011-2012)
- FY2012 FTR (2012-2013)
- FY2013 FTR (2013-2014)
- FY2014 FTR (2014-2015)
- FY2015 FTR (2015-2016)
Data Preservation InquiriesFor more information regarding MGS NGGDPP grants and associated activities, please contact:
Ms. Katie Knippler – 410-554-5543, email@example.com