Step 1: Choose a Publication
- Decide which hardcopy publications you would like to order. Available publications and prices are shown in the MGS Publications Price List.
* Please note: many publications are available for free as PDF () downloads. Please refer to the Reports or Maps lists for PDF availability.
Step 2: Choose a Purchasing Option
Maryland Geological Survey publications may be ordered by telephone, regular mail, e-mail, fax, or in-person.
- BY TELEPHONE: Dial (410) 554-5505 to contact the MGS Publications Office. Please leave a voicemail message; your call will be returned as soon as possible.
- BY REGULAR MAIL: Mail your order to:
Maryland Geological Survey
2300 St. Paul Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21218
Attention: Publications Services
- BY E-MAIL: Send your order to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BY FAX: Dial (410) 554-5502 to fax your order.
- IN-PERSON: By appointment only, 12:00 pm to 4:30 pm. The Office is closed on weekends and state holidays.
Step 3: Read the Sales Terms and Policies
- Customer Information: The Maryland Geological Survey web site is not set up to accept on-line orders. If ordering by regular mail, e-mail or fax, please provide your street address (UPS does not deliver to Post Office boxes), your daytime telephone number, and your e-mail address. Do not send credit card information. When your order is being prepared, you will be called to obtain this information. For over the counter sales, please contact the MGS Publications Office by telephone or e-mail 48 hours before your intended visit to ensure that an MGS employee will be available to assist you.
- Payment Policy: All Maryland Geological Survey publications purchases are to be through credit card. The MGS Publications Office accepts Visa and MasterCard only.
- Processing and Handling Fee:
There will be a $3.00 processing and handling fee required for any shipped parcels. Shipping packages (packets or tubes) are capable of holding several maps or reports. The $3.00 processing and handling fee covers the cost for the first package. Should additional packages be necessary to fill your order, a charge of $1.00 per packet and $1.50 per tube will be added to the overall processing and handling fee.
- Postage and Shipping Charges:
Exact postage will be applied to each order and will be determined upon the preparation of your order based on the weight of the package(s). You will be notified by telephone or e-mail of the postage charge applied prior to the shipment of your package(s).
The MGS Publications Office ships orders through the U.S. Postal Service and the United Parcel Service. Package orders (excluding orders requiring mailing tubes) of 1 lb. or less will be shipped via U.S. Postal Service. Package orders of more than 1 lb. and orders requiring a mailing tube(s) will be shipped via United Parcel Service.
Orders from U.S. territories and outside the United States will be shipped via U.S. Postal Service only.
The MGS Publications Office can no longer perform same day service.
- Refunds and Returns: All sales are final. If we spot an error in your order, we will contact you as soon as possible. Should an error occur in processing an order, that part of the order that is in error may be returned for an adjustment. No order or part of an order that is in error should be returned to the Survey without prior arrangement with the MGS Publications Office.
- If in doubt, ask. If you have questions about the contents of a map or report or its suitability for your needs, please call or write the Survey before placing your order. We want you to get the product you want. Every attempt is made to produce a List of Publications that is accurate and up-to-date. However, during the course of a year, some publications listed may go out of print. Therefore, we encourage you to contact our Publications Office to verify product availability before placing your order.