|Dead Man Cave|
|Dead Man Cave|
|Geology:||(click on an image for a larger view)|
Dead Man Cave is developed along vertical or steeply dipping joint planes in the Greenbrier Limestone, which is cross bedded and light gray to tan in color. Arenaceous limestone and red shale beds are mixed with the purer limestone.
to local residents this used to be a rather extensive and frequently visited
cave in the 19th century. The cave takes its name from a legend connected
with its history. The legend has it that a family named Sines, in which
there were two brothers, lived in the area in the 1860's. One of them was
reportedly retarded and was murdered by the other, who buried his body in
the cave which was subsequently filled up. In the 1960's Bob Corliss, of
Swanton, Maryland, undertook to reopen the cave. A trash filled sink was
entered and about 150 feet of passage explored to the site of an extensive
blockage of fallen rock, which could not be bypassed. This particular sinkhole
was revisited in 1970, and found to be closed at the bottom by an earth
slump. The accompanying description and map applies to the accessible part
of what is undoubtedly part of the same original cave and is entered through
two entrances a few yards south of the sinkhole.
The main entrance is in the stream bed and contains a ten-foot high waterfall where the stream enters the cave. A second entrance is higher up on the north bank of the valley about 20 feet away from the stream. Water from the stream flows into three passages below the waterfall, none of which have been adequately explored.
(from ES3 -Caves of Maryland)
|Click on a cave name or a number on the map to view images|
| Return to previous page | Go to the Caves Home Page | Go to the Next Page |